Friday, December 7, 2012

Society's Influences

I went shopping at a local mall recently and I all of the sudden I was overcome by emotions. I was inside Victoria's Secret and I felt really strange while shopping in this store. I have been in this store many times and I had no problem until the other day. As I looked around the store I saw many photographs of beautiful and flawless women. As I studied these images I began to think about what those pictures were telling me and all the other women who shop there. Are we supposed to look like these women in the photos? If I don't look like this can I still purchase the items available in the store? Of course I have the right to purchase anything I would like inside this store, but I really began to think about the power of these images. I soon realized that I was thinking way too hard about shopping for clothing and I left the store. In my opinion, it is amazing how much images can influence our daily decisions.


Image from: fotocommunity

2 comments:

  1. Amber,

    I always think the same thing when I go into a store like Victoria Secret or even when I go into hollister or any store like that! I find myself wanting to look more like the women in the pictures instead of focusing on what I want to buy for myself! These images are very powerful and when I go in there I don't exactly feel the best about myself...

    -Austin Jacobson

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sickening, huh? I think it is the craziest thing that the media in society can steer us all in one direction, to thinking that the only acceptable size is a 0. Personally, I think that is bullshit. I'm a size 8 and no, I'm not 100% content with my body, but I don't think I should be unacceptable to society. Did you know that one of the biggest sex symbols in the 1900s, Marilyn Monroe, was a size 14? I just heard that yesterday and it made me grin from ear to ear. It was the most heart-warming thing I've heard in a long time. This beyond beautiful woman, who was seen as this incredibly sexy person, was a size 14. That gave me a little bit of courage and made me feel a little better about myself. I hope it did you too!

    ReplyDelete